How Mums Deal With Sick Kids
We have had a week of sickness, with both kids battling a raging fever followed by sniffles and the kind of cough that makes other mums raise their eyebrows. The thermometer is in constant use, and the infant paracetamol is getting a workout too. I think we’re through the worst of it now, with only the cough hanging on, but I’ll have to keep an eye on the little man as he is prone to ear infections.
This morning on air I shared some thoughts about dealing with sick kids. Here are my three top tips:
- Lower your expectations – Obviously the kids aren’t going to be at their best. Relax the routine, let go of the little things, be realistic about meal times, and don’t stress about the house (no one will be visiting anyway)!
- Cancel your plans – If you have little ones under school age, cancel anything you can! Don’t bother with trying to squeeze things in… just let people know that the kids are unwell and you’ll reschedule asap. If you have school aged kids, cancel school for a day or two (and sadly, yes, whatever you had planned too), and cancel afterschool activities until they are 100% well again.
- Take shifts at night – Find a system that works for your family, so that you aren’t working 24-7. We either take turns night and night about so that only one of us is getting up, or take pre-midnight shifts and post-midnight shifts. (This week though, our little boy only wants Daddy during the night!!) Single mamas, you need extra help during the day because you have to deal with v-e-r-y long night shifts.
Working mums, how do you juggle your career with caring for sick little ones? Do most of your sick leave days get used when the kids are sick, or when you are? Any tips to share?
SAHMs, how do you give yourself time to recharge so that you don’t go insane?! Do you have a top tip to share?
If you’d like to hear the podcast from this morning, it should be available later today at 96Five.
You might like to read:
- Just What The Doctor Ordered – Can anything be prescribed for mummy guilt?
- Sick Kids and Sleepless Nights – Changing my thinking… (Parenting Australia).
- Tantrum Tracker – The reasons kids throw tantrums, and how to keep track of triggers. FREE RESOURCE downloaded 500+ times.